Thursday, January 5, 2012

Getting Outside of Myself

Today has been a waste. Okay, not a waste...I remained sober, went to therapy, went to my sister's therapy with her and even managed to order a pizza. HA! But I haven't felt well today so I've spent most of the day in sweats curled up on the couch.

But yesterday was a VERY productive day and it was a great day because I participated in a couple of great recovery activities and really got outside of myself. For this alcoholic, getting outside of myself is absolutely necessary in my recovery. It's necessary for me to do everything I can to assist in my own recovery and help others in theirs.

Before I went to inpatient treatment I began outpatient treatment where I live. I only did about two weeks before going to inpatient. Part of my continuing care program in leaving inpatient was to start back into outpatient treatment upon my return home. So I started outpatient treatment all over again. I had a completely different outlook on life though so I was happy to start over and continue to learn. It was three nights a week at one of our local treatment centers and we were required to attend three 12 step meetings a week. I enjoyed going to both the classes at the treatment center and was more than happy to attend the three meetings and then some. Once six weeks is complete in the outpatient program you can then attend the Aftercare program which is once a week. You are not required to attend (unless legally you have to) but it's just another recovery tool that is offered so I take advantage of it. I try to attend every week as part of my program and truly enjoy it. Aftercare is either Wednesday morning at 10 or Thursday evening at 6. I have been attending Thursday night but yesterday I attended Wednesday which is a much smaller group than the Thursday. Since it's a much smaller group it has the feel of group therapy. It's wonderful to receive support in this setting. Someone was struggling very much yesterday with some things going on in her life. Instantly she had received 4 phone numbers of women she can call at any time she needs to talk. She knows we will not judge her or make her feel bad - we will just listen and share experience, strength, and hope. It's awesome to know that such supportive groups can exist for those of us in recovery.

Yesterday evening at 5pm I went to the local inpatient treatment center in our city. They hold a group every Wednesday evening called "Bridge Group" in which those of us already out in the "real world" in recovery go into the treatment center and answer questions that the patients have. It is meant to help "bridge the gap" between treatment and the real world for those currently in treatment. I know when I was in both inpatient and outpatient treatment I so appreciated those who volunteered their time to come in and speak to us. I had no idea what life was going to be like once I was out of treatment so having people in recovery come in and give us honest opinions on what worked for them was very comforting. Some of my friends in the recovery community go to Bridge Group often and invited me. It was a really great experience. The patients write down questions on a piece of paper anonymously and we answer them in the order that we pull them out of a can. If even one thing that we said touched one person then it is a success in my book. I hope to be able to do this at least once a month. It is also a good reminder to me that not long ago I was the one in treatment. I was the one feeling that way. I pray to never go back to that stage of the game.

As I said, today was pretty much a wash. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better because I have a lot of things that I need to take care of. So here's to bed early, sleeping well, and tomorrow being a new day!

2 comments:

  1. The Bridge Group sounds really interesting! Unfortunately I don't know of any such group here in Stockholm, but was struck by the idea that this could be something that one could do in private.

    I mean, gather a group of friends in recovery, perhaps share a breakfast or lunch and write down questions, put them in a can (unsigned) and as you said, answer them in the order that we pull them out :)

    I hope you get to enjoy an absolutely lovely Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post on the value of giving back.

    ReplyDelete