Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Momma's Sewing Class: Day 1

Well, since I am laying here on the couch with my back still hurting, I figure I might as well go ahead and blog again. Two days in a row!

This morning I woke up and felt better as it pertains to the back. I didn't feel GREAT, just better. So I decided I would sweep the floor and pick up the house a bit. Maybe not the BEST idea? I don't know. I just HATE sitting around doing nothing! My mom got to my house and we made our list for JoAnn's and off we went to purchase the things I needed to get started on my sewing adventure. Now, keep in mind, I've NEVER sewn anything in my life. Okay that is not true. In middle school home we had to sew these lovely nylon duffel bags...I believe mine was purple and turquoise. I have NO idea how I did that without hurting myself. I'm a bit accident prone and clumsy if you haven't picked that up yet. :)

Our trip to JoAnn's was fun as always. I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars in there. Easily. They had the cutest Easter and spring things out!!! It so puts me in the mood to "springify" my house. I was trying to not get distracted by all the cuteness because we had a mission - buy my sewing stuff. I already had the machine but I needed supplies. This to me was like grocery shopping. LIke not super fun but I knew I needed the stuff. That is until I found out that I needed a sewing basket. Um, I can get into choosing one of those. I like pretty things. So I picked up this little gem on sale.
The rest of the supplies weren't quite so fun for me but I knew I needed it all. Looking at the fabric was fun for sure. My first actual project is going to be curtains for my breakfast nook. Just simple panels, nothing crazy. I found several fabrics that I liked so we ended up after much debate just buying 1/2 a yard of each of them to bring home to hang up so I hopefully make a decision. By the time we got out of there I had a cart full of sewing supplies, some Easter goodies, and some supplies for a birthday cake I am making this weekend for my cousin.

We came home and set up the sewing machine which was somewhat interesting because mine is computerized and mom hadn't dealt with that kind before. We figured it all out eventually and after watching her I started sewing on some scrap fabric that we had (leftover from our wedding 5 years ago actually!) It was a lot easiers than I thought. The intial setup was kind of time consuming but the sewing part wasn't so bad. I definitely have some practicing to do before I sew on a real project but I feel a little better now knowing how to get it started at least. Me and my little alcoholic mind of course had so much anxiety about even beginning the project or buying the stuff so it was a sigh of relief when I found it to not be so bad.


In the meantime we hung up fabric samples all over my breakfast nook windows so we could gaze upon them during our sewing adventures. I am down to two that I really like and I just can't decide. They both match my house perfectly but they are kind of different looks so I am struggling. One is more springy I think so I am leaning towards that one. That is the one here:



However, this one below has a gorgeous purple color in it and I am loving that. They both go with my colors and my style so I'm just not sure. I have left them hanging up for the hubby to look at when he gets home. He says he doesn't really care but yet he always seems to have an opinion so we we will see HA ;)


I'm hoping to actually start sewing on these in a week or two. It's going to change that room so much having curtain in it! I can't wait!!


That was pretty much the extent of my day. Will had his first practice tonight for the traveling soccer team he is going to be on but I didn't go because of my back. Should be interesting fitting that in with Tae Kwon Do and baseball. We always seem to manage it okay though!


Hope you all had a great Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. I like the second one more (both are nice). The second one is a bit bolder and has more of a Scandinavian feel (my heritage). Love the sewing box too! Sewing is something I just CANNOT do. I had to get a needle and thread out to sew badges onto my sons Sea Scouts tops and they started coming off within the month! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs D for your opinion! I like both of them also...ugh! I am kind of liking the bold colors in the second one especially the purple. I"m afraid it looks too "Fallish" though. Decisions decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the exact same sewing machine. LOVE it!!! I also, like the second fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete