Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Books, Books!!!

I haven't written in a little while so I'm sure I have lots to write about but I need to do a book update! I am so into reading right now. I always have been but I'm definitely on a spell right now. A lot of this is because of www.goodreads.com. It is SO fun to look at all the books on there and hello? WHAT? WIN free books?? That's right. You can sign up to win free books. Basically all you have to do is read the book then rate/review it. I about peed myself when I won my first book on goodreads. I was SO freaking excited. Clearly I am excited by little things which is a good thing I think. HA

So the first book that I won on Goodreads was one that I already had on my "to-read" list so double score! "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson arrived via UPS two days ago at my house - woo hoo! I started reading it and 30 pages in I was laughing so dang hard. She is REALLY funny. She reminds me a lot of Jen Lancaster who I really love. This is a memoir but a totally hysterical one. If you are offended by the "f word" or by crass humor in general, then move on. If you are not offended by those things, then go get this book now because it's so damn funny. I'm about halfway through with it right now and I am already hoping she writes another book soon. And the fact that I didn't pay for it? Makes it even better.

My friend Nikki is a master at figuring out all thing internet so she kind of studied about what she felt were some ways to make winning easier and I'll be danged if I didn't listen to her advice and win not one, but TWO more books this week!!! I can't wait to receive them - I'm never going to have to go to the library again at this rate! This is the best thing since sliced bread. Honestly. For a bookworm like me this is the equivalent of feeling like it's my birthday every time I win a book.

I want to post about a couple of other books that I have read recently also because I adored them both so much. They are really different from one another but my interests are kind of broad when it comes to reading.

The first on is the first book I've read from Kristen Hannah - Firefly Lane. This is a novel about two best friends and it spans over three decades of their lives. I absolutely loved this book. I think I really connected to it because I am fortunate enough to have had the same best friend since I was 5 years old (which makes that....er....crap. Going on 26 years now. Man I'm getting old...). I could relate to a lot of the situations that they were in and the feelings that they had toward one another. I couldn't put this book down. The book was written really well and I highly suggest it. I have put a ton more of her books on my "to-read" list now based on how well I liked this one.

The other book I read recently that was so good is "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls. Anytime that I told people that I like to read memoirs they said that I had to read this one so I finally picked it up from the library. Jeanette Walls focuses mainly on her years of growing up in a very dysfunctional family and how she overcame a lot of what she went through as a child. You should really go read about this book on Amazon because I know that I can't give a description that would give this book any kind of justice. This is one of my favorite books I have read in a really long time. Go get this one now!
There you go - some books to keep you busy for awhile. :) Once I get my other books that I won (SQUEEEEAL!) I'll post about them. I can't wait!!!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, you're on a roll! hahaa Congrats to you winnings! I got really curious about the Lawson book and have put it on my list :-)

    Thank you for all those excellent book tips, a wonderfully amusing read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MUST read the Jenny Lawson book! I finished it last night and I have never laughed so hard in a book. So good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha I love the stroking of my ego in this post.

    ReplyDelete