Wednesday, June 8, 2016

So Close I Can Taste It!

Hello all!  Well as the title of this post tell you, we are so close to being finished that I can almost taste it!!!  We now have a move in date of July 16th so a little over month before we get to move into our new beautiful home.  It's been a long and busy road but I know we will love it and be thankful for having everything just how we want it.  Here are some recent updates:

This nice big hunk of cedar will be the sink top in the half bath.  Tommy hand hewn the front of it and I distressed the top of it.


Once the hole was cut in the top we were ready to make it pretty!  Tommy used a coat of his shellac flake/denatured alcohol mixture first.  I then put several (6 I believe!) coats of polyurethane on top of it to seal it.  More pictures to follow once the sink is in and the bottom cabinet is built!


Here is a close up of some of the distressing that I did to the top.


While on the subject of sinks, we bought two of these guys for the basement.  One will go in Tommy's wood shop and one will go in the bathroom. I love the deep sink for working purposes!

I decided that I wanted to do something a little different for the pantry door in our kitchen.  I have seen a lot of homes that have colorful doors to add a little pizazz and I decided I wanted that too!  The door below initially was white.  I spray painted it with a very dark brown spray paint for the underneath layer.  


As most of you know, I love Annie Sloan chalk paint so I decided to go with that method in Barcelona Orange for the door.  I painted two coats of the orange paint on top of the brown.  I then did one coat of Annie Sloan clear wax before sanding spots that I wanted to look distressed.  Once the distressing was finished I waxed with Annie Sloan dark wax and viola!  I now have a pretty cool pantry door!


Look at her hanging out there in the kitchen!


Tommy made the stair treads for our staircase out of the same cedar as the sink top in the half bath.  We are using the same method on the stair treads - distressing the tops and hand hewning the fronts.  Below is where I had my little distressing workshop.  I used all sorts of fun things to beat these treads - screwdrivers, hammers, screws, nails, big rocks, little rocks, big chains, pieces of brick...it was therapeutic to say the least :)  

These will get the same treatment as the sink top - the shellac/denatured alcohol mixture and the polyurethane.


One very exciting day was when our granite arrived!  I think this really made our kitchen look like a real kitchen.  This is Lapidus Gold granite and we love it!  It looks great with our cabinets and my copper sink.



This is the area where my prep sink was installed.  It will be beside the stove.  I had this in the last house and loved having it for a pot filler, pasta drainer, etc.


The front of this bar will be covered with the same stone as the fireplace.


We also ordered our appliances and they will be delivered next Monday.  Here is what my refrigerator will look like.  It will seem huge compared to the one in our current apartment!  I can't wait!


Tommy wanted to do the hearth of the fireplace himself so one night we spent cutting and fitting the big stones on the hearth of the fireplace.  These guys are very heavy!  Here is the worker himself getting things done!


Here it is in the process of getting the stones placed.  One more to go in this picture!


Below is the big pile of cedar trim in our garage.  One of my big projects over the past couple of weeks has been sanding every piece of this.  Whew!  I was happy to have that finished!


And last but not least, Mavis the moose has been ordered and will be arriving this week!  For anyone who thought we were kidding when we said Tommy was getting a moose head, well, we weren't kidding.  This is Mavis and he will go high on the wall in our living area between the two 2 story windows.  He looks HUGE in this picture so I am very interested in seeing him in real life.  I have a feeling Rocko is going to hate him so we shall see.  :) Never a dull house built by us! 



As I said, we are moving in just a little over a month so stay tuned to more updates!  They will be coming fast at this point.  Can't wait to finally live in our house in the little woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment