Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Now Let's Build a House! (Again!)

As most of you know, we've had a pretty rough week or so dealing with Tommy having his second back surgery.  There have been some complications with that but things are starting to look up!  We appreciate everyone who has offered to bring us food, babysit him so I can run errands, etc.  We are blessed to have the people that we have in our life.  :)

Despite the stressful week, we did received some very good news - everything is finished with the bank and we are now ready to start building!!!  For our builder we will be using Nate Mominee from Mominee Homes & Roofing.  We are very excited to work with him on this project!  Everything is in motion to break ground next week.  The excavators are scheduled for late next week and I can't wait to see the process begin!

We have of course been looking for quite some time to decide exactly what we want in this house.  We HOPE that this will be the last house that we live in (though with Tommy you never know right? HA!).  Our goal for this house is to downsize and make it our own.  We will be putting a lot of our own personal touches on this house that will make it scream "Tommy and April live here!!!"  Here are a few pictures of things that have spurred ideas for us.  I think in my previous life I wanted everything to look perfect and I thought I had to choose one style and everything had to go with that. I now know that we can do whatever we want.  I don't have to do what other people would do.  I don't have to do what would look great in a magazine.  I can decorate however I want  :)  So to describe the style of this house would be...hm....rustic boho?  I am not sure.  We love a lot of rustic details but I also love bohemian details - lots of bold colors and textures.  It is going to be so fun choosing everything to use!


I am going to blog as much as I can through the process of this building.  I tried to do that on the last house we built but guess what?  As was the case with a lot of things, my alcoholism got the best of me and I started something I never finished.  So building this time will be a whole different experience for both Tommy and I.  We are in a very different place this time. When the old house was being built was when my alcoholism was in full swing and to say that I was not helpful would be an understatement.  I caused more issues and stress than the building of the house did.  I ended up in rehab toward the end of that building process so I wasn't even physically here for it.  This time will be a whole different ball game because I am sober.  Happily sober.  I am looking forward to working on this house with Tommy - as a team.  Doing this one as a family.  I know the process will be stressful at times but we are looking forward to it.  

Stay tuned for pictures and updates as we move along in the process!  

No comments:

Post a Comment